just friends

Информация о пользователе

Привет, Гость! Войдите или зарегистрируйтесь.

Вы здесь » just friends » Politics, events » Magnitsky

Magnitsky

Сообщений 21 страница 29 из 29

days in December 2007, this criminal group, which includes police officers, received a $230 million tax refund, the largest in Russian history. Sergei was not an anti-corruption activist. He was just a smart, hard-working Russian lawyer. But when he saw that $230 million had been stolen from the Russian treasury by corrupt Russian law enforcement officers, he became indignant. He helped us draft criminal complaints and he testified against the police officers, who were involved in stealing the money. He testified in June 2008. At that point the police officers named in the criminal complaints, opened up new criminal cases against all the lawyers working for Hermitage. We advised all of our lawyers, including Sergei, to leave the country. It was very hard to convince an established professional to leave the country – imagine that you’re in the midst of your career, and suddenly you have to give everything up and go into exile in a foreign country at a moment’s notice. It took a long time and a lot of persuading, but everyone eventually left except for Sergei. Sergei said, “I haven’t done anything wrong, I haven’t broken any laws, they can’t arrest me for anything, I’m going to stay.”
At the end of October 2008, he went back and testified again about the involvement of the same officers. A month later, those same officers came to his apartment as he was preparing his children for school and arrested him. They charged him with a crime, which he couldn’t possibly have committed. It didn’t matter to them what they were arresting him for, they just needed a hostage. They stuck him in pre-trial detention. Then they started to move him from one detention centre to another. The moment he got settled in one place they moved him to a new place. Each detention centre got worse and worse in terms of the conditions. They put him in cells where they had eight inmates and only four beds, so they had to sleep in shifts; they never turned the lights off so that even if you were lucky enough to have a bed to sleep on you couldn’t fall asleep. As time went on, his health started to deteriorate. He ended up with very severe abdominal problems. He was diagnosed with gallstones and pancreatitis. The prison doctor said Sergei needed treatment and surgery. About three weeks after this diagnosis, he was transferred to Butyrka prison, which is a maximum security prison and one of the worst prisons in Russia. They put him in a cell without any natural light at all and really started to lean hard on him. At this point they said to him, “if you want medical attention, if you want to get out of jail, if you want to survive, then implicate yourself and implicate Bill Browder in the $230 million tax rebate fraud and we’ll let you out of jail”. He said, “that’s outrageous, I’m not going to perjure myself, this is your crime not mine”. So things got worse. He started to develop very severe stomach pains. They were so severe that he couldn’t lie

down, and his cellmate had to bang on the cell door for hours to get anyone to come and look at him. When the doctor came he said, “you should have been seen before you came into prison, we’re not going to do anything for you’. The situation got even worse, they started moving him into even worse cells. At one point they moved him into a cell with no toilet at all, there was just an open hole in the floor. Sewage bubbled up from the hole in the floor. At one point they moved him to a cell without any window panes so that the cold air just flowed in. His health got worse and worse.
All the time he was being detained, they were keeping him without any proper legal reason to hold him there. On October 13th he testified again against the officers who were involved in the $230 million tax rebate fraud.
On November 16th he died. He entered prison a healthy 36-year-old man, and eleven and a half months later he was dead. I don’t know what they were thinking. I don’t know whether they killed him deliberately on the night of the 16th, or if he died of neglect. The prosecutor’s office refused his family’s request for an independent autopsy. I imagine what they did was something they’ve done many times before. They probably thought “who is going to notice one more person dying in pre-trial detention?” But in the case of Sergei Magnitsky, they encountered something they never could have expected. In spite of the horrible conditions, Sergei was a very clear-thinking man in his 350-odd days of detention, he wrote 450 different complaints documenting every element of his mistreatment in the prison. The day after he died we released a forty page letter, one of these many documents, to the press, and this just lit up the emotions of the public in Russia.
Since then, the President’s human rights advisor, Ella Pamfilova, went to the President and said “the story of Sergei Magnitsky is outrageous, we need to do something about this”. The President then ordered an investigation. That we didn’t expect. Then we said to ourselves, “this investigation is probably going to be like every other investigation and not find anything”. But about two weeks later, the President fired the head of the prison service in Moscow, and about twenty other prison bosses. And then today, the President fired the head of the Moscow tax crimes department, the man supervising the team that played a key role implementing the $230 million tax rebate fraud.
Of course, losing a job is hardly comparable to losing a life, but this just might be the straw that is breaking the camel’s back. I’m in the middle of it so it’s hard for me to be objective, but I get the feeling that this is bigger than

anyone could have ever imagined and there is much more still to happen with this case. One of the reasons why this story has resonated throughout Russia is that everyone in Russia feels like they could be a Sergei Magnitsky. He wasn’t an oligarch, he wasn’t a politician, he wasn’t a human rights activist; he was just a regular professional trying to live the Russian dream of working hard and having a good life for him and his family. The only thing different about Sergei was that he wasn’t cynical and when he encountered something evil he decided to do something about it. As a result, this has touched everybody in Russia in a way which is much more personal, much more profound than just about any other tragedy which has happened before.
We were all surprised that civil society still functions in Russia today despite all the efforts to contain it. It is also very interesting to see the effects of the President being involved versus the President not being involved in a crisis like this. Before he was involved, there was a lot of press, but it was all the independent press – Ekho Moskvy, Novaya Gazeta. But all of a sudden when the President announced an investigation, Sergei’s case was on every national television station. Even Russia Today ran the story. It’s interesting because there are two camps out there. There is the camp of the criminals, who are coming up with statements saying Sergei Magnitsky died of a heart attack so it’s nobody’s fault. And then there’s the camp of the President, who the next day fires the head of the Moscow prison service, so it evidently was somebody’s fault.
In all my time in Russia, this is the most important power play that I’ve seen because it has shown that there is no universal vertical of power in Russia. Power seems to be scattered in different camps and we’re seeing different camps fighting it out. I don’t have any predictions about how it’s going ultimately to play out. I’m going to shine the light as brightly as I can on this so that Sergei gets the justice he deserves. Everyone around me is trying to do the same thing. This has touched so many people that we’re not on our own in this fight. We’ve just had a conversation with an NGO that was officially sanctioned to keep checks on the prison service. They’ve done a very rigorous study, which they’re going to release soon, which shows numerous shocking violations in Sergei Magnitsky’s case. There are journalists out there doing various things. Of all the scandals that I’ve seen, I think this one is as unpredictable as anything ever.
What are the implications of this whole story for Russia more generally? I would argue that the first big implication is that organised crime is working hand in hand with senior government officials in a very explicit way, which is

why this crime of stolen money is allowed to occur and why the conspiracy involved so many people who were so comfortable doing so many terrible things, culminating in the death of Sergei Magnitsky.
The other conclusion I would make from the most recent experience is that there is some hope that Russia doesn’t turn into an entirely criminal state because people really are reacting forcefully to Sergei’s death. They are also reacting forcefully to the Perm fire and the Nevsky Express crash, and a lot of people are saying, “what kind of country do we live in if the entire apparatus fails because the bureaucrats who are supposed to be doing their jobs are just lining their own pockets.”

lawandorderinrussia.org/category/documents

Отредактировано Bella (2011-01-23 07:53:06)

Ramon, I think, that's enough to show you that we know about our own country no less than you. We can read the same sources as you, we aren't ignorant.
LMD asks you very definite questions and you purposely avoid answering them. Why don't you want to have a dialog, why do you want all your posts were only  monologues? Even if your opponent isn't right , proof it, justify that you are right. You seem to hear only yourself. Why don't you want to get what LMD wants to hear from you? You are right, it's a Forum. Everybody can bring his ideas here, everybody, not only you.  LMD's questions are very clever. It would be wise of you not to ignore her but answer them. I also want to know the answers and your own point of view. I think not only me will be grateful to you for your further taking part in the discussion instead of ignoring any of us.  [взломанный сайт]   [взломанный сайт]   [взломанный сайт]   [взломанный сайт]

Raymondo написал(а):

It has  been published .

In citations of anonymous sources?

Where is the entire corpus of the information the investigation has supposedly collected?

And where is the trial? You dismissed Russian courts, but I am talking about a trial in the UK, which I assume would be acceptable for you.

Raymondo написал(а):

In fact  ,  you write as though you work for the Russian Government and specifically the State Police

No, I am paid directly by Mr Putin. Another transfer from his secret account was booked with my bank just past Friday. Posting on a forum with 51 registered members has never been more lucrative.

By the way, how come you are familiar with the State Police's writing style? You have any connections with my alleged comrades or their colleagues in Blighty, by any chance?

Raymondo написал(а):

what you seem to  exhibit in abundance -- having an ingrained  admiration for hard style management and almost a delight in watching your ship sink whilst blaming everything but yourself for the imminent sinking and drowning .

Where did I admire anything hard line, and where did I blame anything but ourselves? You should have your vision checked, I am afraid.

Raymondo написал(а):

I am not here on this site to play the silly game of trying to score points with some self styled smart arse

I could also reflect on a self styled smart arse in this discussion, Raymondo. But I thought it was not conductive to what you call a “productive forum”.

Raymondo написал(а):

Therefore I shall ignore any future Posts from you until I see evidence that we have a shared idea of what a productive Forum might achieve .

Oh how very magnificent. Truly royal. I cannot answer you uncomfortable questions, so I will just ignore you and keep on pontificating.

+1

Moscow slows cooperation with Washington in Mid East and Afghanistan BECAUSE OF MAGNITSKY  TORTURE
We all trust that the US and others will not bow to this standard Moscow black mail threat . Strange that Medvedev's promise to bring this stinking case of corruption to a conclusion , has apparently been forgotten .
This has all the blundering footprints of the blustering bully boy , Lavrov , plus his Gang Master , Putin .

Thursday, July 28, Russia threatened to freeze the "reset" ties with the United States, which had recently produced valuable cooperation and friendly understandings between the two powers in the Middle East, Afghanistan and other essential global arenas. Captain Fantastico's  Moscow sources report that the areas most affected are likely to be the Israel-Palestinian dispute, Moscow's role as broker for ending the Libyan war and the Russian supply route for US forces fighting in Afghanistan.
Wednesday night, the Kremlin sharply denounced the travel ban to America US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton quietly imposed on a group of senior Russian officials tied to the death in prison of the Russian whistleblower Sergei Magnitsky.
In exceptionally strong language, Washington was reprimanded for meting out "arbitrary punishment" to individuals not found guilty in court. "Attempts to interfere in the investigation and to pressure the judiciary are absolutely unacceptable," said the Russian statement. "Clearly, we won't let such hostile steps happen without a response and will take adequate measures to protect our country's sovereignty and our citizens from such wrongful actions by foreign states."
The Captain's  Middle East sources report that the measures were already palpable this week in a slowdown of Russia's diplomatic efforts to end the Libyan war, which were undertaken at the request of President Barack Obama. Senior mediator Mikhail Margelov, who had set up base in Libya, was ordered by the Kremlin to suspend his contacts with the two sides of the dispute.
Next on the cards is the phased shutdown of the Russian-controlled Northern Distribution Network bringing supplies to NATO troops in Afghanistan via Russian Black Sea and Baltic ports. Its use was expanded as an alternative to the supply route through Pakistan with which US relations are badly strained.
The affair casting a cloud on Russian-US relations dates back two years when Sergei Magnitsky, a lawyer employed by Hermitage, a big Russian investment firm, died in a Moscow prison after exposing a $230 million theft by senior officers of the company. His friends say he was thrown into jail a year earlier by the embezzlers' friends in high places and deliberately left to die as a result of harsh conditions and lack of the medical care he needed.
The US Senate had been examining a bill for imposing a travel ban and freezing the assets of 60 Russian officials involved in the case. Clinton decided to pre-empt the bill before it caused havoc in Russian-US relations. She stepped in with her own watered-down travel ban naming a much smaller group of Russian officials suspected of complicity in the whistleblower's death.
The State Department kept this step under wraps. Even after it leaked out, spokesmen refuse to say how many Russian officials were targeted.
However, the Secretary's effort to tone down the impact of the affair on the "reset" she had ushered in for relations with Russia backfired. Moscow hit the ceiling over any foreign interference in its domestic affairs in any shape or form and began withdrawing from joint efforts in vital areas.

I am reminded by today's Magnitsky news of the stance taken by Bella ( is she alive or dead ) and MD  toward the URPO assassination of Litvinenko in London .
Incredibly they hid behind the FSB stance of protesting innocence because there had never been a court case .

What a disgracefully dishonest position to take by people who simultaneously claim to be transparent and therefore honest .
We all know how Putin dishonestly arranged matters to guarantee that the case never came to court . And no wonder !! For ultimately he was the man who gave the order to kill .
The evidence showing , "How" , "Where" and " When" Sasha was killed  is the clearest imaginable ,  and possibly the clearest  of any major crime  EVER  committed .
Because of the Polonium trail of 210 , the evidence is simply unanswerable .
It is ludicrous to deny the accusation . The evidence is exactly equivalent to having CCTV cameras showing every step of the operation --- two journeys from Moscow and step by step trails across London .

a? [взломанный сайт]

Вы здесь » just friends » Politics, events » Magnitsky

Рейтинг форумов | Создать форум бесплатно